Get Paid to Wait for Great Companies at Better Prices
My investment strategy is built around a simple idea:
keep capital productive while waiting patiently to buy excellent businesses at attractive valuations.
Instead of leaving cash idle, I keep most available capital in SGOV, the iShares 0–3 Month Treasury Bond ETF, where it can earn short-term Treasury income while I wait for opportunities.
I then sell cash-secured put options on companies I would genuinely be comfortable owning for several years.
My typical starting point is approximately 45 days to expiration (DTE) with a strike price around 10% out of the money (OTM).
The key is that I am not selling puts merely because the premium looks attractive.
I want the underlying company to satisfy three conditions:
Strong growth + reasonable valuation + low probability of permanent capital loss.
My current watchlist includes
Alphabet
Amazon
Apple
Booking Holdings Inc.
Dell
Energy Transfer
Fortinet
Hims & Hers
Meta
Microsoft
NVIDIA
Salesforce
SoFi
Super Micro Computer
Vistra
How I would classify your 15
| Company | Business survival in severe recession | Potential stock drawdown | Permanent-loss risk |
|---|---|---|---|
| Microsoft | 🟢 Extremely strong | 30–50% | 🟢 Very low |
| Alphabet | 🟢 Extremely strong | 35–55% | 🟢 Very low |
| Amazon | 🟢 Extremely strong | 40–60% | 🟢 Very low |
| Apple | 🟢 Extremely strong | 30–50% | 🟢 Very low |
| Meta | 🟢 Extremely strong | 40–60% | 🟢 Very low |
| NVIDIA | 🟢 Extremely strong financially | 50–70% | 🟢/🟡 Low |
| Booking Holdings | 🟢 Strong | 50–70% | 🟢 Low |
| Fortinet | 🟢 Strong | 40–60% | 🟢 Low |
| Salesforce | 🟢 Strong | 40–60% | 🟢 Low |
| Vistra | 🟢 Strong | 40–60% | 🟢/🟡 Low–moderate |
| Energy Transfer | 🟢 Strong | 40–60% | 🟡 Moderate |
| Dell | 🟢 Strong | 40–60% | 🟡 Moderate |
| SoFi | 🟢/🟡 Likely | 50–70%+ | 🟡 Moderate |
| Hims & Hers | 🟡 Likely | 50–70%+ | 🟡 Moderate |
| Super Micro | 🟡 Likely | 60–80% | 🟡 Higher |
| Portfolio overall | 🟢 Strong | Potentially 40–60% | Relatively low if bought cheaply |
Those drawdown numbers aren’t predictions. They’re the kinds of declines I would consider plausible in a genuinely severe bear market.
And this distinction—price risk versus business risk—is central to whether your strategy works.
Using each company’s latest reported quarter, I calculated:
Score = year-over-year revenue growth + GAAP net profit margin
| Rank | Company | Revenue growth | Net profit margin | Combined score |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | NVIDIA | 106.0% | 62.0% | 168.0% |
| 2 | Alphabet | 24.0% | 93.7% | 117.7%* |
| 3 | Super Micro Computer | 91.4% | 10.6% | 102.0% |
| 4 | Dell | 58.0% | ~9.0% | ~67.0% |
| 5 | Microsoft | 18.0% | 39.8% | 57.8% |
| 6 | Fortinet | 26.0% | 28.2% | 54.2% |
| 7 | Meta | 28.0% | 26.0% | 54.0% |
| 8 | Salesforce | 10.8% | 42.7% | 53.5%* |
| 9 | SoFi | 40.5% | 13.0% | 53.5% |
| 10 | Apple | 16.4% | 27.2% | 43.6% |
| 11 | Amazon | 20.0% | 17.4% | 37.4% |
| 12 | Energy Transfer | 33.3% | ~7.2% | ~40.5% |
| 13 | Booking Holdings | 8.0% | 26.5% | 34.5% |
| 14 | Hims & Hers | 38.0% | −11.5% | 26.5% |
| 15 | Vistra | −5.5% | 7.6% | 2.1% |
The results are based primarily on the companies’ latest quarterly releases: NVIDIA, Microsoft, Meta, Fortinet, Hims & Hers, SoFi, Salesforce, Super Micro, and Vistra.
If the stock stays above my strike price, I keep the option premium and repeat the process.
If it falls below the strike, I may be assigned—but that is not necessarily a bad outcome.
The strike price is deliberately chosen as a price at which I would be happy to become a long-term shareholder.
For exceptionally attractive opportunities, I am comfortable allocating as much as 25% of my portfolio to one company, although that level of concentration requires much greater confidence in valuation, balance-sheet strength, competitive advantage, and management.
The philosophy is straightforward:
Earn Treasury income while waiting. Collect option premium for agreeing to buy. And if the market finally gives me a great company at a great price—own it patiently.
The goal isn’t to trade constantly.
The goal is to be paid while waiting for the market to offer businesses I already want at prices I am willing to pay.


